Other Inkcicle Pages

Monday, May 21, 2007

Do-It-YOURSELF Dollar Store Goodies




There aren't any Dollar Stores here in town, so I only have a chance to buy from them once a year when we go on vacation. It's tempting to load up on cheap goodies but luggage space is a premium. On my last trip out I came across these blank cards. I love them! Eight cards, four different colors and designs a pack all for a dollar. They were textured card stock with a folded flap on one end. Get this... the flap was dry embossed! (See the turquoise card on the left.) My only regret is that I should of bought more. In an effort to recreate these gems, I've modified the template and size to make my own. You can get two cards out of one sheet of 8.5" x 11" card stock and they will fit in a standard A-2 envie. :-)

DIRECTIONS:
1) Cut your 8.5" x 11" card stock in half to make a really long rectangle. (The cut would be at 4 1/4" on the shorter side of the paper. This will leave you with two 4 1/4" x 11" papers.)

2) Measure in 1 3/4" and score. Take the opposite end and measure in 4" and score.

3) Fold on the score lines and set with a bone folder.

4) Stamp and decorate card as desired.

Optional Flap Design:
1) Trim the flap edge with decretive scissors. Be careful not to cut too much from the edge. Just trim. :-)

2) Dry emboss flap with embossing machine or by hand.

NOTE: I used my cuttle bug folders with the Big Shot on my card flaps. In the future I am going to mix it up and dry emboss the card front instead. You can see my samples using this template in the next post.

The possibilities are endless with this template! I hope you give it a try.

2 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

Maybe it is a good thing you don't live near a dollar store, I was at one on Saturday and spent about $20.00, they are addictive, you keep going well it is only $1.00 and there it goes into your card. Have about 3 drawers full of $1.00 store purchases.

Anonymous said...

We have lots of Dollar Stores here, but I've never seen anything like what you found! Those are great! Thanks for the tutorial, too!